What Can be Shown, Cannot be Said

Friday, October 12, 2007

Greek Literature...Who Cares?

So...I HATE GREEK DRAMA. I really really do. I do not care if the greeks invented literature. I still hate it. Why must we read something that you can't even understand from hundreds of years ago that is simply (apparently) a good story. THere are plenty of good stories out there that you can understand. No matter how many times you read a piece of greek literature it still needs an interpreter. ANd I hate things like that. I am glad that Homer, Ovid, Virgil, etc were good writers. But, I don't care to read their literature. I was fine with it at first. The Illiad and the Odyssey got on my nerves but I was at least a little interested in the plot and what the teacher had to say. But, it keeps getting more and more ridiculous and therefore keeps getting on my nerves more and more. Besides, in Greek literature you have the gods. And with the gods comes tons of information that can get confusing. Also, each one of the gods has a greek name and a latin name. I DO NOT CARE WHAT THEIR TEN NAMES ARE! I just want to know one name for someone. I have a hard enough time remembering one name for anyone in the world, much less more than that. IT means the same thing anyways...why do we have to know both? WE had a quiz today and it was like,"What is the latin name for Aphrodite" "What is the latin name for Zeus". AHHH! I know those names, I know that Aphrodite is the goddess of love and Poisedon is the god of the sea. But, honestly..I don't keep up with their ten names. Do YOU care what my name would be in chinese? Do you care what my name would be in german? Didn't think so! You only care about one of my names. And that is my name in english.

I think one aspect is that my teacher is offensive sometimes in the way he refers to sexual things. And it makes me mad. I am not immature in the way that you can't mention the word sex in front of me without me giggling. I am in college. But, you have to handle the word in a certain manner without it offending me. It's not a joke to me. It isn't something to refer to with slang. It is something God designed for marriage and I think there is a certain amount of sacredness that it should be treated with. And, I am really getting fed up with how he is talking about it lately. Yet, I am not about to go up to him and be like,"Let's talk about how you talk about sex". Besides, I don't want to know all the "behind the scenes sexual things that are implied".

Alright..I will get off that soap box. Greek literature is getting on my nerves today. Mainly because my teacher is rubbing me the wrong way in the way he is dealing with certain things. But, no one is perfect. I mean, I would probably not be fair in everything either if I were a teacher.

on a different note: This weekend is really busy for me. I have a recital tonight. Tomorrow I have a seminar to attend and a choir concert tomorrow night. Carlye is in town and she is spending the night tomorrow night with me! I am glad to see her. Sunday I am back to Lawrenceville. The pastor asked me to help out teaching the little kids at the PAC (people alliance church). It is the church plant I am helping out with. All the little kids are asian. God really keeps putting all this asian related stuff in my path lately. But, I think it will be a growing experience considering they have all kids (6-12) in one room to be taught during the worship service. I don't even know where to begin. We are also supposed to help them get together a promo video and a salvation video for their church. It's all new for me! We will see how it goes!

So, my weekend is jam packed!

1 comment:

Portuguese Man O' War said...

Greek is awesome! Some of that literature....not so much.