What Can be Shown, Cannot be Said

Monday, December 17, 2007

My Future In The Philippines...

I slept in pretty late this morning. And am still trying to figure out what to do about working out. HAHA. I got on the computer and found a response back from the Nehemiah Teams on my email. I have learned lots of things through this email that I had not yet known about my trip to the PHilippines. I will be based in Davao for sure. I will be working with at least two other girls. These girls have supposedly been there a whole semester already. So they will know each other and their way around and can hopefully help me out with things I need to know about!

I also learned I will be bathing from a bucket. The thought just makes me laugh. I have never done such a thing before. But, since Davao City is on the beach but also in the jungle, there won't be very many resources for me that other people might have. I will be living onsite at the orphanage. I will be sleeping on an air mattress that I bring. I will need to fit all of my belongings in a backpack. There are no suit cases I will be bringing. Of course this means I am about to go out and find the biggest backpack of my life.Otherwise, I have no idea how I will fit the list of things they want into a backpack. No worries, this is not because of my in the past packing habits. Because I realize for the summer the bare minimum is okay. I am not really into looking cute or having a bunch of options to choose from when I will be bathing out of a bucket. haha. I will be cooking my own food.

But, I am so exciting about this: I will be involved in evangelism. I was really excited about being in the orphange. But, I was really hoping this mission trip offered some opportunities to really get in there and share my faith with the people. We will apparently be traveling around the Philippines some. So, all of my days will not be spent in the orphanage or onsite. I will be speaking at churches and I will be involved in some evangelism outside of the orphanage. They are strategically placing us in areas they believe need to hear more of the gospel. This is exciting to me. Who cares about bathing in a bucket if people can come to know Christ. At least that is the attitude I am maintaining at this point in time. I am still trying to work out the kinks in my mind of how I am supposed to bath all of myself if I bathe with a bucket and with a bathing suit on. haha. Which are the requirements since the bathroom is not a private location. In fact, there is no bathroom with a shower. haha.

So, as you can see this will be a HUGE growing time in my life. I don't have to fully know the future to know that about this trip. Especially after seeing all the information this morning. Prayers will be much appreciated. This will be a little out of my comfort zone. But, that was never a bad thing for me in life. It just makes me a more mature person. And, I could use a little growth. It is nice to know a little bit more about what I will be facing.

3 comments:

Portuguese Man O' War said...

Glad to hear you'll be invovled with evangelism! Good luck with a bucket!

Meredith said...

hahahahhahahahahah... I laughed SO hard while reading this!

Meredith said...

p.s. I think you'll do great in the Philippines. :)