What Can be Shown, Cannot be Said

Thursday, November 8, 2007

Tiny Little Feet Are So Cute!!!

I HAVE A BRAND NEW BABY COUSIN!!! His Name is Cooper Lee Hubbard. He was born a couple days ago! Too bad he is all the way in Mississippi so I don't get to see him for a while!

I love these cute pictures they sent me. Especially the one of his cute little feet. I love how babies are so tiny!!!



This weekend I have to catch up on a lot of work. I am going to be writing some papers and things. Tomorrow night I am going to a concert (Jonathan, Chris and Daniel are in a band and they have a gig in town). Meredith's sister is coming into town with MEredith's nephew Luke. He is so cute. So, I am excited to get to see him. Tomorrow night we are going to Los Primos. And then on Saturday I guess we will do whatever.



I have three papers due and my Ethnography box. Over the next few weeks I am going to be HORRIBLY busy!!! I have a lot to get done.



I took the MLAT today. THat is the test you take to see how well you can learn another language. Next Tuesday I will find out whether I am smart enough to be bilingual. Kind of sad if I find out I can't.



I am learning Hmong right now! It is a tonal language. It has 7 tones. I have to recite it for class in a couple weeks. Here is the phrase I must learn: "Hey. How are you? I am learning to speak Hmong. It is my second day in the country. This is all I can say. See you later. Good bye." The Hmongs all gathered around last night beggin me to speak it for them! ANd, I have to say, I was really embarassed. I feel I am butchering their language. It is bad enough saying the phrase in front of one Hmong, but in front of a whole congregation is tough. However, they ended up telling me that I am one of the best white Hmong speakers they have heard. So, I guess it will be alright. haha. Maybe they are just being nice. THey keep playing pranks on me. Last night they were all telling me, " You are saying it wrong" They would tell me all these words I should say instead and they were making me say all of this ridiculous stuff in Hmong. So, I hope I don't get confused when I have my recitation. I have come to find out though through the Hmongs that I was raised sort of like the Hmongs. They have all he same ideas and morals my family raised me with. Interesting!



God has been teaching me so much lately. I am really thankful for that. I feel like finally I have a realistic view of myself. For the first time in a while. It's like a light went on in the attic. I am so glad!



ANyways...that's all I have for now!



1 comment:

Portuguese Man O' War said...

Glad you have a new family member! And I'm happy for you that some things are making more sense in your life! :)