What Can be Shown, Cannot be Said

Saturday, July 31, 2010

A New Job.

About a week ago I started my new job at the Eye Doctor's office. So far, it has been really good! I have been blessed to work with some amazing people. I really do get along with everyone in the office. I think it's so rare to have that kind of an atmosphere so I am really glad! It's so weird how your life can go from revolving around one thing to revovling around another. For the last couple months it revovled around fast food chicken. Now it revolves around eyes. In the course of a week I have been able to learn how to tell if someone has diabetes, high blood pressure, astigmatism, macular degeneration, etc...all by looking at their eye. It's kind of crazy how much I now could tell you about the human eye.

There is SO much to learn at this new job. I have to learn terms, coding, six machines, computer programs, how to order and file away contacts, how to read a glasses prescription by looking at it under a machine. It's a lot to take in. But everyday I can tell I am getting it more and more.

I can't lie, I was a little scared to touch people's eyes at first. Not because it grossed me out, but because I was afraid I would poke their eyes and hurt them. I made Jonathan be the guinea pig though before I did it to a patient. So I have started making him let me take out his contacts and put them in. So far so good. I have to put in people's contacts and eye drops. So I have to learn how to do it. Thank goodness Jonathan is willing to let me try it out on him first.

I have seen all sorts of crazy eye infections and things. One guy came in because a tree limb took out a piece of his eye. Crazy stuff.

Anyways, all of that to say my new job is going well. There is a lot to learn but I know I will get there.

As for everything else, we have finally ALMOST gotten done with decorating our apartment. It is so cute now that the curtains are up. If I can figure it out (technology wise) I will try to video tape it and upload it to here? Sounds complicated though...so I make no promises.

2 comments:

allcedars said...

I didn't know that your job entailed so much actual hands-on medical stuff! I thought you were a receptionist all this time... WOW, what a great job! This will be really great for your resume. Maybe someday you can do eye stuff on the mission field too. You never know! :)

Oh, and I can't wait to see pictures of your apartment. I want to see what you've done with it! I know it's gotta be cute. :)

I miss you so much! I love you!

Jonathan said...

If you touching their eyes is anything like how you've touched mine, then poor patients! J slash k.