What Can be Shown, Cannot be Said

Monday, January 5, 2009

A New Year

Happy New Year (a couple days late). It has always been a hard thing for me to accept. A brand new year. Letting go of things has never been a strong point for me. And, usually, I hate the thought that everything great about that year is over now. Usually on New Year's Eve when the ball drops I end up shedding a few tears at another year gone by. This year I had just rushed in from a friend's wedding and was trying to make it back in time to see the ball drop. I watched the ball drop with Jonathan's family. And, like three minutes before it happened his dogs and family came rushing in the room. Also, my phone started going off. So, I actually missed the ball dropping this year. It didn't feel like New Years at all! I didn't shed a couple tears because it happened a little too fast. I am way too sentimental in life. I know it's a little stupid to cry on New Year Eve. But, that is part of who I am. I am very sentimental in nature.

This year has been a really amazing year for me. I look back over where God has taken me and I am amazed. I spent two months out of my year in the PHilippines, which in my opinion, was the best part of the year. God taught me a lot through that experience. Just last night I was telling my friend Nathan about some things that happened over there and I was amazed again at some of the things I went through that didn't even phase me. My friend Lizzy who I worked with some things summer said she felt like two different people. Like when she was in the Philippines she would tell people they were meeting "hard core Lizzy". I agree! I feel a little like I was a different version of myself over there. Not a bad version either, not at all. I wish I could be more of that hard core version in 2009.

I actually finally got the sponsorship package for MJ today. I got to read her story. It was sad and weird. I never got to hear her full story. It really made me sad. But, it also made me feel like I knew her a little bit better. The package described her as "vibrant and friendly" haha. I think that's one way to put it...lol

I had some great experiences living with the girls in my house! They are all really amazing women of God. They taught me so much. They let me cry in front of them, they ate my food, they were very supportive! I am really grateful for them. Because they served as a sounding board for my walk with Christ. It is so amazing to be able to have five people to ask for advice and know you are getting a solid answer. There were many nights when they prayed with me about different things.

This year also had some let downs. But, we won't dwell on those.

My life has been kind of different this year. In a good way. I feel a little bit more grown up for the first time in my life. I am going to be graduating COLLEGE this year. That seems so odd to me. Just yesterday I was moving in...I am also going to be moving to seminary. That is a big thing for me. I hate anything that is completely new!!! But, I am excited about it as well! I jus applied to two seminaries: Southeastern and Southwestern.

Some BIG EVENTS of this year:

1. Moving out of Oak Cottage. I loved the girls I lived with but hated the trailer. It was falling apart. And at my time of departure there were lady bugs attacking!

2. Going to the Philippines. I know I mention my time there in over abundance. But, it really was a HUGE thing for me. ANd, it was an amazing thing!!

3. Becoming Mary Jane Barte's education sponsor. She was my favorite little girl in the orphanage. I know you aren't supposed to have favorites, but I just couldn't help it! If you met her, you would understand!

4. Wrecking Girdie. This was a huge deal. But, God had a reason for doing it. And, it isn't a mistake that it happened only about a month after my trip to the Philippines and the very weekend I was speaking about what I had learned while I was over there! I do miss that car...

5. Deciding not to get a music minor. I will leave that one at that.

6. Finally letting go of some bitterness I had and mending some old friendships that needed to be mended.

7. Moving into Wildwood. It's been fun! PRAISE THE LORD, EAT A BISCUIT!!!! YOU GO GLEN COCO!

8. Finishing my 45 page Senior Paper!!!

9. Finally finding a church in Toccoa! (Don't even ask).

10. Seeing almost all of my friends get engaged or married. That is a really weird feeling!

11. I got to go to New York City for the first time. I got to see Wicked on Broadway!!!

12. I finally saw Les Miserables!

It's been a HUGE year for me. I can't imagine next year bringing more than this year brought! It was a good year. I am hoping this year will be even more productive and enjoyable.

I want to leave you with a story and then some pictures from all throughout my year.

Apparently when me and Jonathan are together we attract some realy weird comments from people. At the end of the semester we were walking to my car in the Wal-Mart parking lot. When we went inside the space beside my car was empty. However, when we came back out there stood a man in a plaid shirt and overalls, his beard was to the middle of his chest and his hair was turning white. He looked at Jonathan and said,"You better take good care of that, boy. She's right handsome". Apparently he was referring to me. I've never had someone call me handsome before...

About a week ago me and Jonathan were headed into a different Wal-Mart when we were greeted my a stone faced lady. She didn't change her expression, or even the inflection in her voice. Instead she looked at us walking in and said,"Hello, Welcome to Wal-Mart. You two make a LOVELY couple. Have a good day". It was sort of a weird greeting. Especially if you were to hear the tone in which she said it.

I am not sure if it is Wal-Mart or us....

Here are some pictures from my past year:




















3 comments:

allcedars said...

I enjoyed reading this post, Jess! The real question is...did you make any new year resolutions??? :)

Portuguese Man O' War said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Portuguese Man O' War said...

A good year! That man had a handlebar mustache though. I'm not sure if he had a beard. You are right handsome!