What Can be Shown, Cannot be Said

Thursday, September 11, 2008

My first commissioning service, but hopefully not my last!

This week has been kind of crazy. I have been fighting off some type of sickness but my body just decided it didn't want to fight anymore apparently. I am getting more and more worn out. And, I have a TON to do! I have never had so much reading in all of my years of college. It is slightly overwhelming!!! I am starting my big paper today!

There isn't much to tell about the past week really. I have mainly done a LOT of homework. I didn't have to cook this week because it was my week off. I finally finished my study of the book of James and am trying to figure out what I want to do next. Part of me wants to take time again reading the whole bible. I haven't done that in a couple years.

My heart has been aching a lot lately for the kids in the Philippines. I really miss them a lot. From time to time I shed a couple tears about it! I want to be there for them more than ever right now! It's weird how badly you can miss a place that isn't even home! I miss little things about the Philippines even. I guess that's normal though?

Yesterday I got the priviledge of attending a commissioning service with the International Mission Board. It was in Jonesboro and my mission's professor said he wanted to take us Southern baptist students who were interested in going on the mission field to see it! I had always been told I HAD to see one sometime. So, I defnitely wanted to go! Me and just one other girl signed up, and since my professor was a guy he decided it wouldn't be good to go with just us two. Luckily, Jonathan was more than willing to step in so we still got to head down there. We stopped for dinner at Checkers (which I had never eaten at but wasn't too impressed with) and then headed to First Baptist Church of Jonesboro.

I was like a kid at christmas! I was so excited to be there! I got pretty much everything that the IMB was allowing you to take brochure wise. lol. The service was from 7:00-9:00 PM. I was blown away by it really. I was really impressed with those who worked with the IMB. It amazed me! They all seemed like great people.

Something that God also struck me with was the couple of girls who were there getting commissioned that weren't married. Most of the people were couples. And, when you think about it they at least had one another for support. They walked down front holding one another's hands. They got to have the one who was less shy speak when they gave testimonies. But, those few single girls really impressed me. They had to stand on their own. They had to speak on their own. They are going overseas on my own. The thought of it brought tears to my eyes because I know how hard of a commitment it must be for them. Imagining going overseas by myself on missions is very scary. Yet, those girls told the Lord "Yes". And I think it means something slightly different in their case than in the case of those who had someone to go with them! But, it just shows how Worthy Christ is of us giving everything we have to give! He is worth it even if there is no one to stand beside you. Their faith spoke to me last night even though I had never met them before. I know God was up in heaven saying, "Well done".

God brought me back through the times in my life when I felt like I could not go on. When I did not feel I had anyone and when things were really difficult. And he reminded me of how HE was always there for me. He was always providing for me and making life possible in he hardest of times! And the thought brought a smile to my face. Because, the hardest thing is stepping out on faith and telling God "yes". Even when you don't know what all that means. Even when you have a lot to be scared of. It's knowing that God has always taken care of you and He will always continue to do so! Especially if you are walking with Him in faith. I believe those girls were doing that. Not just them, but also each of the couples there!

IT was great to hear their stories of how God brought them to this point. There was 84 people being commissioned. And each one had a different story to tell! I got to hear each one! It was exciting to me hearing how they knew God had called them to overseas missions and seeing them actually tell him "Yes" was even more amazing!!!
The service was inspiring and exciting! It was very God centered and challenging!

I was really glad I got to go! I apppreciate it and hope to be back there one day walking down the aisle myself!!! It brings my heart joy to think of all the amazing people that will have their lives changed by the message of Christ!

That is really the only exciting thing about my life thus far. I got back late last night so I am pretty worn out today!

Tomorrow I am leaving to go back to Chattanooga. I know I was just there, but I feel it's been forever since I have seen home. I am excited about going back and speaking at church. I can only pray that I won't say anything to embarass myself. I am not a good public speaker. And I normally end up saying something stupid!

That's all....

3 comments:

allcedars said...

You know you're called to missions when a commissioning service is like Christmas to you!!! :)

I'm going to miss you this weekend! :(

Portuguese Man O' War said...

Well I'm glad my going allowed you to be able to have such a good experience!

Bryan Bridges said...

I hate that I won't get to see you this Sunday! If you get some free time this weekend get on AIM and chat w/ me! Glad to see you're doing well.

-B-