What Can be Shown, Cannot be Said

Monday, November 22, 2010

Christmas, Christmas, it is here! It only happens once a year!!!

Christmas time is ALMOST here. And because of my new hours at work (training is over and my hours are 1:30-10 PM) and our trip home for the holidays, we figured it was better to decorate for Christmas now rather than later. Or else it would be MUCH later. And we want to enjoy our Christmas decorations as long as possible. So, I convinced Jonathan to break his rule of "no christmas before thanksgiving" and we decided today would be our Christmas decorating day.

Over the last year I have accumulated things for Christmas. THanks to my mom's craftiness I had several ornaments and cute decorations to start with. Not to mention I love Christmas so much I started buying ornaments on sale last year so me and Jonathan would have some now. I got a couple of things at a dollar store here and town. So we were ready to go!

If anyone knows Jonathan, you know that he is a pretty laid back person. He just kind of does whatever. Since I am a girl, I am always having some type of craving, opinion, or idea of what I want to do. Jonathan rarely ever makes a request. In fact, I can't think of one request he has made in the last five months of our marriage. EXCEPT for today. He requested that we get a fraser fir Christmas tree. That is the kind his family always had and he said it smelled like Christmas to him. This narrowed down our options GREATLY as to where we could get our tree (most places aren't even open yet). However, I decided since he NEVER makes a request, I should give him this one :) ha.

We SEARCHED forever for a place to get a tree. We wanted to go to a farm. But the only ones that were open didn't have Fraser Firs yet. So we decided to settle for a lot. We looked one up and found one that was open. So we headed 40 minutes down the road. But when we got there the lot was empty. We were annoyed but nothing could break our christmas spirit. So we hopped back in the car. On our way down to the lot, we had seen a cute little Boy Scout sign for Christmas trees. I told Jonathan since he used to be a boy scout (and since I also turn down the boy scouts trying to sell me popcorn kernels every time we go to wal mart) that we should buy it from them. We pulled up to the church and there were no cute little boy scouts in their nerdy uniforms. haha. So we got BACK in the car and headed to Lowe's. Turns out, it was probably a good thing everything else was closed. Because my car isn't ideal for Christmas tree transport. We drove at a snails pace all the way home! But, we got our Christmas tree home finally. And, what is life without a good story to tell? Our first christmas celebration had it's rough patches when looking for the tree. Thank goodness nothing can bring me down when it's Christmas.

One thing today did: remind me, YET AGAIN, how different me and Jonathan are. It's a good thing though. We got our tree home and Jonathan spent an hour making sure it was dead center of the tree stand. haha. I couldn't have cared less. PUt it in crooked for all I care! Lol. Anyways, it was really funny watching him haul it up the stairs. WE broke some of our blinds by accident. But it gave me a good laugh. It took a while to decorate but everything looks great now that we are done! Jonathan also tweaked everything in the room until it was perfectly straight. ha. SO not only do we have Christmas decorations, but our Christmas decorations are symmetrical and straight.

I LOVE the smell of Christmas in the house. I can't feel like it's Christmas without being around a decorated tree every day. And it was fun to start our own traditions with our own ornaments and things. Here's to making things our own! I know turning the lights on will make waking up early a little easier in the morning since I can now sit in the living room and eat breakfast and enjoy the lights.

It was all in all a very good start to a VERY good week. In just two days time I will be headed to Chattanooga to see my family! I am READY to be home again! Couldn't be more excited!!!

Here are some pictures of our decorations:












1 comment:

Jonathan said...

The best worst adventure to get a tree ever! You better be glad I made that tree straight so that it doesn't fall over from being crooked and consequently catch the apartment on fire. Not to mention, the tree could fall over towards the tv and destroy your Gilmore Girls collection! Heaven forbid!