What Can be Shown, Cannot be Said

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Fall is in the air..

The past week was really good! Just like every week since I've been here. I am sure things will start picking up and getting a little bit more overwhelming. But, that hasn't happened quite yet.

Greek is pretty overwhelming. There is SO MUCH to memorize. It can be kind of confusing sometimes. But, I am getting it and it is really exciting to already be able to read greek phrases and things! I can't wait until I am reading and understanding greek even more than I am right now! I am ready to be able to do that! I have done well on both of my quizzes so far. We have two lessons per week and a quiz every thursday.

Baptist History is really good too! I have never known much about Baptist history and I haven't even learned a lot about what Baptist's believe. I think I was more a baptist because my parents were and it was in line with what I thought was right according to the little I knew about Baptist doctrine. But being in the class has opened my eyes more to what Baptist's believe and why we believe it! And, it is nice to be able to figure out where I stand on issues and to be a baptist for a deeper reason. I want my faith to be my own in every aspect. I never thought this class would be so interesting! But, it is by far my favorite class to sit in and listen to the professor.

Women's Counseling is something I wanted to take because my desire is to work with women and children overseas. And since that is my goal, I know it would be helpful to go through women's issues and figure out how to help someone through all sorts of problems. Southeastern is solely Biblical Counseling. Which means they don't bring in psychology at all. They only use the Bible to help people through their issues. It's been a good class as well and I believe it will be helpful in the future! My heart is to help women and children!

I have enjoyed the seminary schedule more than the college schedule. I only have classes three days a week. So I have enough free time to do my homework and have fun hanging out with my friends. It definitely makes me feel less stressed to not have class five days a week! My friends and I spend a lot of time playing cards. haha. It's a free way to have fun.

I got to hang out with Cameron last weekend! It's really nice to be close to her!

I am still looking for a church to attend. I have visited two different churches and am not a big fan of either one. But, I hear there is a really good one in Wake Forest we haven't been to yet.

I have a job interview tomorrow afternoon so pray I get the job! I need a job for sure!

Unlike at Toccoa, I actually really like chapel here! They get really amazing people to sing and speak. WE took up an offering for christmas in August. For those of you who don't know, the IMB has had to completely cut out the 2+2 program they had going. That is where seminary students can do two years in seminary and then finish up their degree overseas getting experience. Once they come back the IMB counts them as ready to go on the mission field full time. They are MAJORLY cutting back on the amount of journeyman they are allowing and they are even pulling missionaries off of the field. The number of missionaries they are allowing career status right now has gone way down. They were 60 million lower than normal for the Christmas offering they take up.

Anyways, all this to say they have arranged for Christmas in August to be taken to help out with the budget being so low. Our seminary participated in that and we raised over 60,000 dollars to help out! I thought that was really awesome!

And, considering I am wanting to go overseas with the IMB I have been sad about what is happening with them. But I know God has called me overseas and he will take care of it.

I have heard two really good quotes lately and wanted to share them.

"you are more evil than you ever feared, you are more loved than you ever hoped"

"The Gospel will only become good news to them AFTER it has actually become good news to us."

I am thankful my friends have a camera since mine is broken right now. Here are some pictures Ashleigh took of me and my friends:





2 comments:

Jonathan said...

Oh Jessica! You kill me with how you word things sometimes...."I am sure things will start picking up and geting a little bit more overwhelming. But that hasn't happened quite yet...Greek is pretty overwhelming." Apparently it has happened already!

I'm pretty sure you'll get that job for several reasons.
1) You are "what we're looking for" in the words of the first manager you interviewed with.
2) Your smile is great and contagious.
3) Last time you went in there, the manager said "Didn't we already hire you?"

allcedars said...

you and your friends are super-cute!