What Can be Shown, Cannot be Said

Sunday, October 10, 2010

The First Sign of Fall....

Growing up, my family had a lot of traditions. One of my favorite was, every Christmas we would go to a Christmas tree farm to pick out a Christmas tree and bring it home. We have had many interesting experiences doing that. My family also carved a pumpkin every year.

This year, me and Jonathan decided to combine the two traditions. For the past three years me and Jonathan have always carved a pumpkin together. We usually just get the pumpkin at Wal-Mart or Target (which apparently, I found out, jack their prices up). This year we decided to go to a pumpkin patch to get our pumpkin. It is cheaper and more festive. And we looked through hundreds of pumpkins to settle on the perfect one. haha.


Here is the sequence of our pumpkins from years past:

Year # 1: Jonathan insisted that he carve half the face of the pumpkin and I finish it without knowing what the other side looked like. Let me just say, that was one messed up looking pumpkin. Too bad I don't have pictures of this one.

Year # 2: I got the most awesome "turn your pumpkin into mr. potato head" kit at Wal-Mart. It looks like it didn't take any time. But trust me, it's not easy to push flimsy plastic into the side of a hard pumpkin. We didn't think to poke holes into it beforehand until half way through the process. Here is the evidence of that year:




Year # 3: We decided to carve a pumpkin for one another and then switch. I carved Jonathan this awesome owl pumpkin. He carved me a pumpkin with the cutest little face ever. Take a look:





Year # 4 (a.ka. THIS year, and our first year of marriage): We decided to commemorate the year by making our pumpkin into the Eiffel Tower since we went to France for our honey moon. Here are pictures of the pumpkin patch, us carving, and the finished product:











Now compare it to the real thing:



I think we did good :) haha.

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

I knew we forgot something! Ours doesn't have the tour buses!

Grace said...

I'm extremely impressed with your mad skillz...just sayin'. ;) OH! and I bought a bag of Minstrels yesterday at the store and have almost eaten the whole thing!!!! Made me think of you. ;) Love you!