What Can be Shown, Cannot be Said

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Beating all Odds.

You know the movies where it's the end of the world (i.e. I am Legend, Book of Eli, and 2012) and the main characters never seem to die? You could have a scene where a 10,000 pound meteor could fall out of the sky and fall on them and somehow they would make it. Heros/main characters in movies seem to bounce back from practically anything. And even when every single person that is around them gets killed they somehow manage to defy all odds and survive. Well, I can't lie. Isn't that what we all wish for? If we were in that same scene wouldn't we want to be the one defying all odds and somehow staying alive? Of course!

Well it dawned on me today as I was reading my Bible. We are that person. In Christ, we are defying all odds. I have been discouraged lately with my recent job loss. And I have been trying so very hard to just trust God. It's hard. In all honestly, it just isn't easy. When things you deem necessary are taken away from you for no (apparent) reason, you want to give up. I have found myself wanting to give up. I have found myself wanting to stop trusting. I have found in myself the worst possible reactions.

But God has been faithful. And every time I reach for my Bible and read a planned reading schedule it was as if God was speaking to my very circumstance.

Here are some examples:

Psalm 138:7& 8: "If I walk in the thick of danger, you will preserve my life from the anger of my enemies. You will extend your hand; Your right hand will save me. The Lord will fulfill His purpose for me. Love, your love is eternal; do nto abandon the work of your hands"

Psalm 91: "The one who lives under the protection of the Most High dwells in the shadow of the almighty. I will say to the Lord,'My refuge and my fortress. My god, in whom I trust.' He himself will deliver you from the hunter's net, from the destructive plague."

Isaiah 40: Do you not know? Have you not heard the Lord is the everlasting God. The Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary. And his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the wear, and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and your men stumble and fall, but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

Matthew 17:20: Nothing will be impossible for you.

So the moral of this story is that we are the main character in the movie. It's like we never die. The Bible states that even if destruction is happening all around us our life will be preserved by God. There is nothing too big for God to handle.

Of course, I am not a believer in the prosperity Gospel. I don't think that because we are christians nothing bad will ever happen or that we will never die (though if eternal life counts in your mind, we'll never truly die). I am simply saying that bad things can occur all around us. Unfair things. Life altering things. But as long as we are in Christ God has our back. He is not going to let anything happen out of His will and it should be of great comfort to us that He will take care of our needs even when it looks like He isn't. That even when unfair things occur God has a plan to redeem the situation or at least be there and give us strength through it!

The matter of the fact is that we are on God's team. He is there for us. He sees our every need. He knows our every circumstance. He can make the unthinkable happen. He can handle our enemies or our biggest battle. And all we must do is realize that in His strength we can do anything. We have a God who we can trust. Who can bring us peace for any tribulation. We must simply remain in Him. Seek Him. Pursue Him. We have to do our part. We have to trust Him. But He will never leave us alone to fight our own battles. He is by our side every second.

And so, in a way, we are just like the main character who can defy all the odds. Only difference is we are doing it because of Christ. Not because of something unrealistic.

With You I can attack a barrier, and with my God I can leap over a wall. Psalm 18:29

he one who trusts in the Lord will have faithful love surrounding him. -Psalm 32:10

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

Preach it, sista! (er...uh, wife!) I'm glad the Bible is encouraging you in this rough time. Keep trusting! I'm here for you.