What Can be Shown, Cannot be Said

Monday, August 17, 2009

North Carolina

Hey everyone! I thought it was time for me to update you on how my move to North Carolina went and how my life is going up here so far!

My camera broke, so unfortunately I won't have any pictures to upload. I haven't even taken any pictures yet, which is really sad! I guess I need to invest in a new camera...only I don't have the money for one! HA! SAD!

I moved up here on Friday. It took a long 7 hours to get here. That isn't counting the stops for gas, the restroom or eating. So, it really took about 8 1/2 hours. It was a LONG trip. Even longer than I expected it to be. I had a lot of stuff too. It took a while to get settled. I am always overwhelmed when I have TONS of boxes to unpack.

But, I got it all unpacked and put away. My apartment is SO NICE! I have a dishwasher, refrigerator, washer/dryer, etc...We even have cable/DVR and wireless. We have wood floors and a cute little yard in the back. I have a room with my own bathroom. It's so nice! I am getting really spoiled! I really wish I could post some pictures of it for you!

I got to go shopping with my mom that night at super target (yes, there is one right up the road. I keep telling everyone because I am just THAT excited about it). My mom reminded me to look at the price of things and to bargain shop! That was nice! And, who knew, but you can save SO MUCH money by just buying the target brand and the target brand tastes amazing so far (in my opinion). It's good to learn how to have a budget and not blow money on dumb things. I think that will come especially handy when I get married next year. I am glad I am learning it now. And it's kind of fun now to see what kind of deals I can get! HA!

Saturday I drove to Jonathan's family reunion in spartanburg, SC. So I ended up driving a LONG way there and back. It was good to see his extended family though! I was exhausted by the time I got back to the apartment. I finally got to meet Ginny and Natalie (my house mates) in person. That was GREAT! God has blessed me so much in every way so far! These girls are amazing! They love the Lord with all their heart and we all get along great. They are way more outgoing and bubbly than I am. So that has been awesome. They've helped me meet new friends. We have become pretty close with three girls in the apartment across the street: Ashley, Sarah Beth and Denae. The crazy thing is I went to middle school with Sarah Beth! It was so random to see her again!

I have been really busy getting everything settled and hanging out with the girls.

We went to church at Richland Creek Community Church on Sunday. It is a southern baptist church, in case everyone was going to ask that. I wasn't too impressed. But, we will see. I think me and Natalie are going to try out a church in Raleigh this weekend that has an amazing ministry with the lost in downtown! I want to get involved in a church and in doing ministry! So, that church seems exciting to me!

Today we had "marticulation" (orientation) for seven hours. It was horrible. I hate it when people spend hours telling me information I could just read on my own! But, I got to meet some new people. Natalie was really sweet and gave us all coupons. So, we went to Chik-Fil-A and all got value meals for FREE!

I think I am really going to love it here! God has already given me an amazing community of friends. We have done so many things together already! It's a lot of fun hanging out with them!

I really like the area! It is really pretty and has everything you could really need.

Dan Aiken spoke this morning and he seems AWESOME! As do the professors here. Everything seems really solid. Dan is SUPER blunt. But, I love that about him! He is so straight up about the christian life! And I appreciate that so much!

I sign up for classes tomorrow and I have started looking for a job! Pray that God will provide a job for me! That is really the only missing piece to the puzzle up here!

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

Sounds great! Get that resume going and don't sleep TOO much! :)

Carlye Jean Rankin said...

Wow, Jessica. I am so happy for you. It is amazing to be able to "see" what God is doing in your life even though you are 7-8 hours away. I miss you. But I know you are where the Lord wants you. Oh and is it Sarah Beth Shepherd?